Search This Blog

Word of the day:

thankful

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring!

While it has actually felt like spring for awhile here in Hampton Roads, it is actually only the second day of spring today. It makes me fearful of summer. So humid already, and the pollen. I can just imagine all of it suspended in the damp air. Gross, and aaaaachooo!
I did a few St. Patty's inspired flavors for the Tasting at Let's Talk Wine, as well as stocking the case at Live•Love•Paper. The Laphroaig whisky was, I am so pleased to say, a hit!! The Bailey's flavor is always popular, so I am always excited to see some of the more unusual flavors well received.
I had quite a few wrinkled noses and questioning looks to the Mazara, which is fresh rosemary and a Sicilian olive oil. I have been tinkering with olive oil and chocolate off and on for awhile, so when it finally came together in a pleasing way to me, I was almost afraid to bring it out, I am so glad I did.
I am quite a traditionalist with regards to chocolate flavors,but, I have so much fun experimenting! Thankful my loyal chocolate lovers are willing to come along for the ride.
I am about to come up on year 4 of being an actual business, so it is interesting for me to look back on the changes that have come to pass. When I started making chocolate we were living overseas on a small military base in Germany. I was determined to not waste my time over there! As a self taught baker I was immediately taken in by the sheer amount of baked goods, and how similar but different they were in each country we visited. I had the best time over there, as an art and history addict, I was in heaven on earth, everywhere. The way everything just melds together in to this idyllic version of life. Work to live, not live to work. Taking 2 hours to eat lunch in a romantically old area, surrounded by amazing architecture, eating food that all came from the same region. I would go back in a second, obviusly! It was always my intention to wrap all those things that I love into each and every piece of chocolate I make.
It was on a trip to Glastonbury that the name Cocoa Nouveau came to me. It was a few months after my chocolate time in France and I was just so eager to get started. I came across these tiny notecards that were embossed with these amazing Art Nouveau style tiles, from a museum. My day at Musee d' Orsay came back to me like a montage in a movie. I loved the flowing lines, the feminine forms, I loved the inspiration of nature, it was perfect, and I really, really loved that the whole Art Nouveau, Arts and Crafts movement was basically thumbing their noses at the industrialization of everything. Everything I do with my chocolate is done by hand, by me, unless my friends are feeling sorry for me (or wanting chocolate) and they offer up some help! Cocoa Nouveau was absolutely my perfect fit. I get to bring my love of art, architecture, history, travel and food together. So, if you have ever wondered wher I come up with some of the names of the chocolates.... now you know!

No comments: