Search This Blog

Word of the day:

thankful

Friday, March 9, 2012

Change

For those of you who have been with me from the beginning, I am sure you have noticed a few changes lately. The most obvious change is to my packaging. The source if my boxes has discontinued my packaging! I am trying to take advantage of the opportunity instead of stressing out, it is tough though after hearing "building a brand" so much over the years! I am investigating more eco friendly packaging as well as ultimately lowering packaging cost. While the price of chocolate keeps going up, and the fuel to move it around the world there has to be a way to keep other costs down.
I have also made a change that I am hoping is not noticeable at all, the chocolate that I used to hand dip the pieces. It was a long, arduous journey tasting so much chocolate (I do have a rough job!). Again, rising costs were a big factor, but also, i needed a way to streamline my process. With the addition of a permanent retail space plus all other events, it was getting to chaotic and stressfuk. I finally found a chocolate that made me happy on all counts; flavor neutral (I didn't want the shell to compete with the centers), ease of use, consistent availability, great cost and it is processed in the U.S. There was one compromise I had to make though, and that is that the beans are not Venezuelan in origin. I have to say that I am very happy with my choice of E. Guittard though, their ethics and sustainability standards are high, as is their quality.
More changes coming, or additions really. The vegan community is vastly underserved in this area, so I am working on a line of vegan chocolates, marshmallows and caramels. I have received quite the education on what is required for vegan foods. Many thanks to Sue for being a trailblazer on this front. It isn't just about the dairy or meat, sugar, due to the way it is processed, is a problem. That line will be starting soon. I am also adding some small sweets that are gluten free. Another under served population, that I am looking into for health issues of my own.
I am working on fine tuning things at Live•Love•Paper, growing pains and meeting market needs. Never a dull moment! As soon as I get it all figured out, it will be time to change again!

No comments: